Yes you read that right $500 for what may be the best of the best on the market today! Now I know most of you out there aren't going to plop down five Benjamins to take home a router. The Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart Wi-Fi Router isn't just any other router though. It blurs the line between your typical high end home router and a stand-alone media server.
The router combines a 1.7-gigahertz quad-core processor — the fastest processor in a home router — and quad-stream Wave 2 Wi-Fi architecture offering the latest 802.11ad Wi-Fi standard, with speeds up to 7.2 gigabits per second. This means you'll get the lastes MU-MIMO technology to support simultaneous streaming to multiple devices. In geek speak that means you'll be able to move a ton of movies and videos back and forth from the Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu or any other spot on the web all while gaming from another device without so much as a hiccup!
Speaking of video we said the Nighthawk X10 blurs the lines between home router and media server. That is because it is the industry’s first router to run Plex Media Server without the need for a computer. It will even handle transcoding through Plex for smooth 4K streaming, to all your remote devices.
NETGEAR Nighthawk X10 is also the industry’s first router designed for the home market that includes a 10Gigabit port, which supports a fiber connection. Offering lightning-fast backup and streaming from Network Attached Storage devices – such as NETGEAR ReadyNAS – Nighthawk X10 is the ideal solution for personal HD video collections. The two USB 3.0 ports make it easy to add storage for backup and file transfer over WiFi. Additional storage options with the Nighthawk X10 includes six months of free unlimited Amazon Drive backup for an off-site cloud copy of one’s files.
“Nighthawk X10 sets a new bar for performance and a new record for speed when moving large video files within your network and to the cloud,” said David Henry, senior vice president for home networking at NETGEAR. “Today’s video files are getting larger with 4k and VR video. Offloading from capture devices and moving these large files within a network often becomes a time-consuming and challenging task. The Nighthawk X10 is powerful enough to move these files at unprecedented speed and provides easy access once the file is stored on the network.”
Key Technical Features of Nighthawk X10
- AD7200 Quad Stream Wave2 WiFi supports wireless speeds up to 4600+1733+800Mbps*
- Fastest 60GHz 802.11ad WiFi technology for instant downloads, backup and minimal latency during online game play
- Plex Media Server for all of your media, anytime, anywhere
- Powerful 1.7GHz Quad Core Processor boosts performance for 4K streaming or VR gaming
- High-performance Active Antennas for better WiFi coverage & faster speeds
- Six (6) Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports with dual ports that can be operated in line aggregation mode for faster file transfers (up to 2Gbps wired speeds)
- Two (2) SuperSpeed USB 3.0 ports for faster streaming, backup and easy access to your stored media.
- Automatic backup to the cloud with Amazon Drive
- NETGEAR ReadyCLOUD provides easy, private and secure remote access to USB connected storage
- 10Gigabit fiber port for lightning-fast backup and media streaming to/from ReadyNAS or other NAS
- MU-MIMO capable for simultaneous streaming of data to multiple devices
- New NETGEAR Up app will have your router up, running and configured to your liking all from the convenience of any Android or iOS mobile device.
- NETGEAR genie® app for a personal dashboard to monitor, control and repair your home network, even when you’re away from home.
The NETGEAR Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router is now available. You can purchase it in retail shops and online at an MSRP of $499.99 in the U.S.